Maintain your wood properly for long-lasting durability
Follow our simple tips and tricks to ensure your wood piece lasts a lifetime.
Take Care of Your Wood
A wood serving or cutting board is incredibly functional and beautiful. But to keep the piece long-lasting and looking great, it does need to be treated from time to time.
Luckily, it isn't difficult to do so! Here are a few quick tips to keep your board in tip-top shape.
- Hand wash immediately after use with a little soap and water; dry thoroughly with a towel
- If your board develops a smell, use kosher salt and half a lemon to scrub the board
- Every one to three months, apply a food-safe finish or board wax/conditioner, such as Blake's Board Butter, by following the manufacturer's directions
- Do not soak in water or run through the dishwasher as this will warp your board
- Do not use abrasive scrubbers/cloths as this can leave scratches on your board
- Do not use cooking oils for conditioning your board as they may go rancid
How to Apply Blake's Board Butter
Follow these steps when applying Blake's Board Butter to your board:
- Ensure your board is wiped clean and is fully dry
- Using a lint-free rag, wipe the Blake's Board Butter to add a small amount to the rag, then apply a thin coat of of the butter by wiping the board in a circular motion
- Once Blake's Board Butter has been applied to the entire board, allow the application to soak into the wood for 15 minutes
- Using a clean portion of the lint-free rag from before (or a new rag), buff off any remaining board butter, again moving your hand in a circular motion
- Set your board aside to fully cure for at least an hour before using or storing away
Depending on the frequency of use, local climate, humidity levels in your home, etc., you should be applying Blake's Board Butter every one to three months.